Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Monday, December 19, 2005

Bush At His Best

Last night's speech by President Bush, followed by a press conference this morning, were the best to date (by far) on the Iraq War. He was very clear and concise on the fact that (I know you won't believe this) terrorists actually existed well before the Iraq War and new terrorists appear when you do NOT take action.

He also scolded Democrats who filibustered the Patriot Act and called not renewing the law "inexcusable," as well as pre-empted the criticism of his eavesdropping on terrorists who call into or out of the U.S. One highlight:

You know, there's an interesting debate in Washington, and you're part of it, that says, well, they didn't connect the dots prior to September the 11th -- "they" being not only my administration, but previous administrations. And I understand that debate. I'm not being critical of you bringing this issue up and discussing it, but there was a -- you might remember, if you take a step back, people were pretty adamant about hauling people up to testify, and wondering how come the dots weren't connected.

Well, the Patriot Act helps us connect the dots. And now the United States Senate is going to let this bill expire. Not the Senate -- a minority of senators. And I want senators from New York [Hillary, Chucky] or Los Angeles [Babs Boxer, Feinstein] or Las Vegas [Dingy Harry Reid] to go home and explain why these cities are safer. It is inexcusable to say, on the one hand, connect the dots, and not give us a chance to do so. We've connected the dots, or trying to connect the dots with the NSA program. And, again, I understand the press and members of the United States Congress saying, are you sure you're safeguarding civil liberties. That's a legitimate question, and an important question. And today I hope I'll help answer that. But we're connecting dots as best as we possibly can.

I mentioned in my radio address -- my live TV radio address -- that there was two killers in San Diego making phone calls prior to the September the 11th attacks. Had this program been in place then, it is more likely we would have been able to catch them. But they're making phone calls from the United States, overseas, talking about -- who knows what they're talking about, but they ended up killing -- being a part of the team that killed 3,000 Americans. And so -- I forgot what got me on the subject, but nevertheless I'm going to -- we're doing the right thing.