Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Friday, March 17, 2006

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

From The American Thinker:

According to The History of the Irish Race by Seamus MacManus, the following is the sacred prayer or hymn chanted by Patrick and his missionaries as they were marched to Tara to face the pagan king there. He wrote it, the first such work in Gaelic.

I bind to myself today
The power of Heaven,
The light of the sun,
The brightness of the moon,
The splendor of fire,
The flashing of lightning,
The swiftness of the wind,
The depth of the sea,
The stability of earth…
God’s power guide me,
God’s wisdom teach me,
God’s eye to watch over me,
God’s hand to guide me,
God’s shield to shelter me,
God’s Host to secure me…
Against everyone who
Meditates injury to me,
Whether far or near,
Whether the few or the many.