Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Monday, May 01, 2006

Bernanke Spooks Markets

This afternoon, Maria Bartiromo said that Fed Chairman Bernanke told her Saturday night that his comments last week were misinterpreted by the markets to indicate that the Fed would pause after one more rate hike.

There are 2 problems here:
1) Bartiromo should have mentioned this news earlier in the day rather than waiting until 3:30 in the afternoon to announce it. She should know that anything Bernanke says can move markets and she should relay it as soon as possible. Very unprofessional of her, in my opinion.

2) Bernanke should be more direct in his language. Greenspan created the impression that the Fed Chairman should speak in a cryptic manner. I think a Fed Chairman should simply be direct and tell the markets what he intends to do - and if he is still uncertain, simply say he is uncertain. Is that too hard?

*Update*
The more I think about it, the more I think Bartiromo might have taken Bernanke's comments out of context. Maybe it's because I'm skeptical of reporters in general, and Bartiromo's rather lackluster abilities in particular. Of course, we won't know unless Bernanke clarifies his comments, which I hope he does. But I have still more faith in Bernanke's ability to communicate effectively than I do in Bartiromo's ability to report accurately. It would not surprise me if she were looking for a way to bring attention to herself.