Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Thursday, May 11, 2006

ElBaradei Encourages "Compromise" With Iran

Mohamed ElBaradei, head of the IAEA, is falling into line exactly as expected. He encourages compromise and dialogue, and says that the West might "have to accept" an Iranian enrichment program.

Mohamed ElBaradei, head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said he was pleased the U.N. Security Council was holding off from sanctions against Iran as Europeans work on a package of benefits to induce Tehran to cooperate.

"I'm very optimistic. I hope both sides will move away from the war of words, I hope the pitch will go down, I hope people will adopt a cool-headed approach," he told a news conference at Amsterdam airport. "We need compromises from both sides."


"I hope that at this stage we will use more carrots before we think of using sticks," he said. "It is a very good idea that the Security Council is holding its horses."


What this means to me is that everyone once again wants to throw a few bribes at Iran, ask them to tone down the rhetoric, look the other way, and hope for the best. It's what the UN does best.