Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Friday, April 25, 2008

Scalia to Appear on 60 Minutes

I might actually watch 60 Minutes this week, as Leslie Stahl interviews Justice Antonin Scalia (who has a book coming out as well, which should be quite interesting). Here is just a snippet of the interview:

LESLIE STAHL: "People say that the 2000 Florida election decision was not based on judicial philosophy, but on politics."

JUSTICE SCALIA: I say nonsense.

STAHL: Was it political?

JUSTICE SCALIA: Get over it! It's so old by now. The principal issue in the case, whether the scheme that the Florida Supreme Court had put together violated the federal Constitution, that wasn't even close. The vote was 7-2. It was Al Gore who made it a judicial question. It was he who brought it into the Florida courts. We didn't go looking for trouble. It was he said, "I want this to be decided by the courts." What are we supposed to say? "Oh, it's not important enough."

CBS also adds:

Call him conservative, just don’t call him biased on issues before the Supreme Court, including abortion, he says. "I am a law-and-order guy. I mean, I confess to being a social conservative, but it does not affect my views on cases," he tells Stahl. "On the abortion thing, for example, if indeed I were…trying to impose my own views, I would not only be opposed to Roe versus Wade, I would be in favor of the opposite view, which the anti-abortion people would like to see adopted, which is to interpret the Constitution to mean that a state must prohibit abortion." "And you’re against that?" asks Stahl. "Of course. There’s nothing [in the Constitution to support that view]."