Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Thursday, September 23, 2010

New Republican Pledge: Ridiculous?

Erick Erickson from Redstate thinks so. I haven't been able to download the 21 page document yet, but my guess is that I will be in Erickson's camp after doing so.

The problem with most Republicans is that they're unwilling to make REAL changes. OK, so they want to repeal Obama's healthcare plan - that should be a given since 70% of Americans hate the thing. On taxes, they don't want any new tax increases - OK - again, good, and a lot better than Obama, but why stop there? Why not pledge across the board TAX CUTS - both for corporations, investments, and individuals.

Want to stimulate job growth? Why not have a 5 year plan to reduce US corporate tax rates from 35% to 15%? I guarantee this jump starts job growth if the tax cuts are made permanent. Instead, most Republicans continue to support temporary tax credits, which never work. Instead of budget freezes, why not across the board 10% cuts over the next 3 years given to EVERY government department? I'm afraid we won't get this from Boehner and co.

Don't get me wrong - when Republicans win in November, even if they do absolutely nothing, that will be an enormous improvement on Obama, Pelosi, and Reid's disastrous experiment. But Americans want REAL CHANGE and this is only going to come from outside-the-box thinkers. I don't think someone like Boehner, who has held the same job for almost 20 years is going to bring about the change that I want to see.

Vote Republican in November, but let's demand new leadership. I'll come back with opinions after I'm able to download the 21 page pledge.