Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

No Osama Bump for Obama's Poll Numbers

With the death of Osama, I expected Obama to be a short term beneficiary in the poll numbers. According to Rasmussen, which has historically been one of the best predictors, there has been a tiny bump, from -15% in approval ratings to -13.

I am surprised by this, but maybe I'm underestimating the American public a little. My belief is that the media has been going completely overboard in their coverage, in part because this is a real news event, but also in part to pump up Obama's ratings and make him seem more palatable from a foreign policy perspective as they get geared up for 2012. I thought that a significant part of the American public would look more favorable upon Obama over the next month or so, because of this event. In the long run, I don't think anyone would really change their view toward Obama but I really thought that in the short run, Obama may finally have persuaded some of those who don't like him.

Guess I was wrong.