Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Guardian: Saddam's Jail is "Bleak"

Oh, the horror. According to UK's Guardian newspaper, Saddam's jail cell in Iraq is bleak. Dr. Rod Barton, a UN scientist who took part in the interrogation process, described the jail.
He said there were about 100 prisoners kept at the 'bleak' prison, which consists of three rows of single-story buildings with tiny two-metre square cells and no windows. The cells have steel doors with a metal flap a metre from the ground.

Barton said he witnessed no physical abuse at the jail, but he believes some prisoners had been 'softened up' before they arrived in an induction process known as 'purgatory'.

Give me a break - what do they expect, a Tahiti vacation? Suddenly, with the "Saddam underwear" photos, the media wants to humanize Saddam and portray him as a victim of U.S. policy. The Sun newspaper responds to the criticism of publishing the photos.

I don't think the photos are a big deal, although the person who sold them to the Sun and the New York Post should be thrown in jail. I agree with the Sun on one point: I would rather have a photo of me in my underwear than a video of me being raped, tortured or torn apart by dogs - which Saddam had no problem doing.

Overall it gives people a chance to criticize the U.S. again, but I've stopped listening to them a long time ago.

*Update*
Al-jazeera refuses to show the photos because they are "indecent." Thankfully, beheadings still don't fall into the indecent category.