Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Andy Grove Dislikes Sensenbrenner-King

The new Sensenbrenner-King bill was just passed by the House and now will go to the Senate for a vote. According to Grove (former chairman of Intel):

This bill scares me. Let me illustrate. The bill contains a provision punishing anyone who "assists, [or] encourages . . . a person who . . . lacks lawful authority to remain in the United States" to remain here. Punishment: three to 20 years in prison, the same punishment meted out to professional smugglers who profit from transporting illegal aliens across the border.

Sounds a little harsh to me.

I'm all in favor of immigration - the legal way. But I'm also in favor of increasing the number of legal immigrants to the US - particularly for well qualified engineers, doctors, scientists, nurses, all professions to be in shortage in the US. Currently there are only 65,000 HB1 visas available, which isn't very many and congress just shot down a bill to allow more. Lower-level immigrants help the economy too as they help companies manage their costs. I think a lot of people, including many Republicans, are going overboard with this anti-immigration stuff.

I agree with Grove. Immigration is what makes America America.