Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Pelosi to Negotiate Drug Prices?

I'm sure there will be a million and one things about Pelosi's issues that I will disagree with. But I'm an issues guy and I don't care which party the right issues come out of. If Nancy Pelosi decides that medicare can negotiate pricing with the pharmaceutical companies, I think it's a good idea. After all, Walmart, being the largest buyer of tv's and tide, can negotiate with the Chinese manufacturers and P&G to get the cheapest price. Why should medicare be any different?

The US pays 3x as much as Germany and the rest of Europe for pharmaceuticals. Other countries use their bargaining power to drive down prices, so why shouldn't we? Why should American consumers be subsidizing the rest of the world's healthcare systems?

Again, there are too many things about Pelosi and what she stands for that make my skin crawl, but on this issue, which is part of the "100 hour agenda," I say - run with it.