Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Shock of the Century - Bloomberg Leaves GOP!

NYC Mayor has announced he's leaving the GOP to become an independent. You don't say! While Mike Bloomberg can be admired for his entrepreneurialism and his philanthropy, I don't think you'd find too many conservative admirers of his politics. He's increased taxes and he's anti-2nd amendment and he's not the most freedom-friendly man. I'm not big into titles or even political parties (much prefer to look at each individual issue, rather than the entirety), but my view is that he's one Republican that the party can do without.

I'm also very surprised that I have not seen much criticism of the man and his opportunistic political moves. Is it just coincidence that Mike became a Republican as Republicans had swept the 2000 elections? Now is it a coincidence that as the GOP title becomes a liability, he's shedding it? I don't think so. Call the man opportunistic, smart, a fraud, or all of the above, but he's gotten off scot-free with his scheming.

Whether Mike runs or not for President - who knows? I would normally say who cares as well, because Mike is a little too whiney to actually win the top job. But - 3rd party candidates can swing elections, and right now the jury's out as to where he might swing it.