Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Monday, August 18, 2008

Interview with Chinese Gymnast Sad

In a brief interview, Chinese gymnast Yang Yilin illustrates to the world once again that China is still a repressive Communist regime. From ESPN:

The answers were brief, spoken without heart. What emerged was a picture of a young girl who has been kept largely cut off from family and the outside world for more than a year, so she could be intensely trained to win medals for China at its own Olympics.

Were your parents here to see you compete, among the cheering crowds?

"I don't know."

When was the last time you went home?

"Ummm ... before I joined the national team," Yang said, her small voice hard to hear.

When was that?

"More than a year ago."

Will you go on holiday after the games?

"I don't know."

How many holidays do you get a year?

"I have not had a holiday since I joined the national team."

Doesn't sound like the same experiences that U.S. Olympians have.