Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Obama: I Will Bankrupt the Coal Industry

I'm still shocked that anyone would believe in Obama's energy policy, which is a guarantee to dramatically increase electric bills and gas prices. In a January 2008 interview that is just now coming to light (but still not among the media Leftists), Obama said the following:

Let me sort of describe my overall policy.

What I've said is that we would put a cap and trade system in place that is as aggressive, if not more aggressive, than anybody else's out there.

...So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can; it's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted.

The only thing I've said with respect to coal, I haven't been some coal booster. What I have said is that for us to take coal off the table as a (sic) ideological matter as opposed to saying if technology allows us to use coal in a clean way, we should pursue it.

So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can.

It's just that it will bankrupt them.

You know, when I was asked earlier about the issue of coal, uh, you know — Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket.

From the Messiah: he will bankrupt the coal industry. I don't think that is going to help increase our energy supplies and will obviously raise prices since 23% of electricity in the U.S. comes from coal and that is after exporting 50% of our coal production.