Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

G20 Demonstrations: Much Ado About Nothing?

I'm sure there will be some exceptions to the rule, but I found the whole thing rather boring. I walked down to Bank Station today and found the whole thing closer to a carnival than a mass protest. There were a few signs and some Halloween type masks and some music going on, but all told, I saw about 4,000-5000 people around the square - not too densely packed either. Certainly didn't fear for my life or anything like you'd hear out of the media.

I did see on Sky News that a few protesters broke some windows at a local RBS branch, but really, it seemed quite calm and certainly over-hyped. I can't speak to the protests which took place at the American Embassy, but the major one was at Bank Station and not much happened.