Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Monday, March 28, 2005

Hippies and Che Guevara

I've never been much of a fashion hound, but the popularity of 'Che' clothing is completely absurd to me. I saw a young 20-something wearing a Guevara t-shirt the other night and I almost asked him if he had any knowledge of the communist on his tee. I didn't bother because I had better things to do than waste my breath on a young, grungy hippy, but I wonder if he realizes how many people he offends by wearing a t-shirt with Castro's personal killer. I enjoyed reading the reaction of an elder Cuban man when he saw the t-shirts for sale:

One example is 73-year-old Carlos Barberia, who recounts waiting for a bus in New Jersey when he spotted a Guevara T-shirt on a sidewalk rack. He bought the shirt - and promptly set it on fire with a burning newspaper.

"Che Guevara killed my father," he told a police officer, explaining his outburst. "He had my father shot by a firing squad in Cuba."

Thankfully, the officer seemed to understand and let Barberia go, he says.

For some reason, communist killers still receive a certain affection from many on the Left. I wonder if there would be any outrage if I walked around with a KKK shirt. But then again, I would have enough decency not to do something so stupid.