Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Saturday, March 26, 2005

What of the Soul?

With Easter tomorrow, I find the following post from Polipundit appropriate.
I have heard it a hundred times if I have heard it once the past two weeks. I have heard it said in many different ways, but the concept is the same. Terri Schiavo is a vegetable. She is no longer in her body. Her mind is gone. Her brain is gone. Her body is an empty shell. She has no idea what is going on. She is a potted plant. She can’t feel anything.

On this Easter weekend, I can’t help but wonder whether any of those making statements like the ones above believe in the human soul. If they do, do they think it resides in the brain? Do they believe that Terri still has a soul? Do they believe that those who are mentally handicapped have souls? How can they discuss a living human being in such a way if they believe she possesses a soul?