Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Bob Livingston on Tom Delay

As I watch the Sunday morning news shows, the question is not whether Tom DeLay will be mentioned, but how many hundreds of times the media suggests he did something improper. As Bob Livingston notes, the media are falling over themselves for the scalp of an effective GOP leader. As noted last week, the NY Times is no longer a news source, but a source of advocacy.
As now widely reported, I have recent experience with the attack dog mentality at the Times. When a representative of "All the News That's Fit to Print" called me, the message was immediately obvious. The Times contacted my office fishing for a leading Republican to write a negative op-ed that would call for DeLay's resignation. When I responded that any op-ed would likely be in defense of DeLay, the response was, "We'll certainly consider it." But the clear implication was, "Good luck. It'll never see the light of day."