Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Friday, June 03, 2005

Rehnquist Stepping Down in June?

I have no reason to believe or disbelieve the rumor of CJ Rehnquist retiring, but it wouldn't surprise anyone. From In the Agora:
Steve "Feddie" Dillard, Grand Poobah of Southern Appeal, has revealed that a reliable source has told him that Chief Justice Rehnquist will be stepping down in the next 4 weeks. Feddie is pretty well connected in those circles, so I have no reason to doubt it. Besides that, it's what everyone is expected anyway...He is predicting that Michael McConnell will be the choice to replace him, which is the same person I've been predicting for the last few months.

I'm not up to speed on the backgrounds of potential nominees, but a liberal friend of mine said he is scared of one judge: Michael McConnell. To me, that's a sign that he could be good. I have also heard good things about Michael Luttig.