Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Monday, October 03, 2005

Where is George Bush Headed?

I'm sorry to say this, but George Bush has been going downhill rather quickly. He has usually done the correct thing on the big issues (tax cuts, Iraq, most judges), but his lack of ability to restrain spending has already eroded significant conservative support. I put little faith in his ability to convince Congress to maintain the tax cuts after 2008, which will result in a massive tax increase. He's already lost on the Social Security issue.

And finally, his choice of Supreme Court nominee appears to be a big dud. Nothing against Harriet Miers, but when several well-respected conservatives - including Bill Kristol, Rush Limbaugh and David Frum, among others, are lukewarm at best about Bush's choice, I become very worried.

With 55 Republican Senators and a huge electoral victory in 2004, we shouldn't have to wonder whether we might get another Anthony Kennedy, Sandra Day O'Connor or worse, a David Souter. I'm afraid Bush is starting to care more about appeasing "moderates" and Democrats than sticking by his principles. I hope I'm wrong...