Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Gingrich: Pull out of Iraq

Newt Gingrich, speaking at the University of South Dakota, said the U.S. should pull out of Iraq:

"It was an enormous mistake for us to try to occupy that country after June of 2003," Gingrich said during a question-and-answer session at the school. "We have to pull back, and we have to recognize it."

I don't know if this is mere politicking in an attempt to run for President or whether Newt really believes it. But let's assume that he is correct and occupying Iraq was a mistake (which I do not). What was his alternative? Was a Talibanesque power grab ok with him? Furthermore, how does pulling out today help us with the terrorism / anti-US problem in the Middle East? Nearly everyone concedes that if the U.S. pulls out, the vacuum will likely be filled by militias and, at best, revert to tribalism and lawlessness.

I think Newt Gingrich is one of the top intellectual conservative minds today, but I think his "pullout" strategy is defeatist and wrong. Hopefully he will clarify his position in greater detail.

*Update*
I should have known better; Newt appeared on Sean Hannity's radio program today and said that the Argus-Leader reporter took his statement completely out of context. I didn't hear the program so I will have to say what he said.