Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Laura Bush: Miers Critics Sexist

Although Laura Bush is typically very thoughtful in her public remarks, I am not sure why she gives credence to the idea that critics of Harriet Miers might simply be sexist.

Asked by NBC "Today Show" host Matt Lauer if sexism was behind the attacks on Miers, Mrs. Bush said: "That's possible. I think that's possible."

This strikes me as the common Democrat excuse when something goes wrong: "we are victims" - whether it's racism, sexism, or sexual orientation. Laura should have simply said: "I have no idea, but they haven't looked at her accomplishments..."

I am not in favor of Miers because I have no idea if she is a strict constructionist or not (and I am leaning towards the latter). Put up Janice Rogers Brown or Priscilla Owen and I am fine. To introduce the sexism charge is weak - very weak.