Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Monday, May 15, 2006

Pork Busting

The bill for Hurricane Katrina relief and the war on terror is still not finished, thanks to Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK), who should be widely praised for his efforts to reduce pet earmarks. Among other projects, Coburn is at odds with handing $500 million to Northrop Grumman for shipyard damage caused by Hurricane Katrina.

Trent Lott and Thad Cochran, of Mississippi, are all in favor of pork when they are the recipients:

"This is personal with me. I admit it. This is my hometown (Pascagoula). ... My dad was a pipefitter in that shipyard and was in the pipe department when he was killed in an automobile accident. I don't just see statistics and numbers. I see neighbors, classmates, men and women who believe in what they do and build a quality product. They have been hit a grievous blow."

Sorry, but that shouldn't cut it. Every town in the U.S. has neighbors and classmates - that doesn't mean we can afford to hand out a billion dollars to each of them.