Bizblogger

Site for Free Markets and Free People

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Bush's Speech Too Bipartisan

Overall I thought the President gave a pretty good summary of the financial situation. But I agree wholeheartedly with these comments from Powerline.

What annoyed me most about Bush's speech, as usual, was its bipartisan high-mindedness. He reviewed the history of the mortgage crisis without mentioning his own efforts to rein in Fannie and Freddy, the Democrats' frustration of those efforts, the Democrats' use of Fannie and Freddy as honey-pots, or other relevant historical details. It was a sanitized history, such as might have been related by anti-reform Democrats like Chris Dodd or Barack Obama.

No doubt Bush thought that such discretion was necessary to achieve a bipartisan solution to the problem at hand, but we can be sure that he will get no appreciation from the Democrats, who will misrepresent the historical record for their own political gain at every opportunity.


This is not a "bipartisan problem." This problem's roots are clearly due to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and the extension of loans to those who should not have received them. And these institutions were the darlings of Democrats. I suppose it's why I can't be a politician - I'm too truthful and I lay blame where it should lie.